Moisture will find a way to get into your property, one way or the other. Even the smallest hole or crack in the wall can allow water to enter. If not treated right away, you might be faced with penetrating damp before you know it which can quickly lead to more serious issues for your property.
What Causes Penetrating Damp?
Penetrating damp is caused by water seeping through the walls. It is typically caused by permeable walls. Ageing walls lose their ability to protect your home from rain penetration over time. Another cause can be brickwork damage that allows water to enter. Roof damage, poorly installed windows and defective guttering and downpipes can also be culprits.
Signs of Penetrating Damp
- Musty smell
- Black mould growth on skirting boards and walls
- Water drips or damp patches on ceilings, walls and floors
- Cold rooms
- Stained or blistered plaster
- Rotting skirting boards or wooden floors
- Roof leaks
Penetrating Damp Treatment and Prevention
Damp is treated by eradicating the moisture source at its core. This can be achieved by installing a barrier between your property and the damp. Penetrating damp proofing is carried out from the outside of your home making it a lot more cost-effective since you won’t have to replaster inside your home. Damp Proofing specialists, Hydrostop SA, take it another step further by removing the damp completely.
There are several things you can do to protect your home against penetrating damp. Below are some suggestions:
- If your home is prone to damp, invest in an electronic moisture meter to check moisture levels regularly
- Inspect downpipes for blockages
- Make sure your household appliances aren’t leaking
- Look out for water coming into your roof’s loft
- Inspect for cracks in your rendering regularly
Damp proofing with a specialist will save you money in the long run since your home will be protected against damp for many years to come. For more information about Damp Proofing Johannesburg or for a free quote, get in touch with HydroStop SA today!