Did You Know That Damp Is Bad For Your Health?

If you find evidence of mould growth in your home, it typically suggests that the moisture levels are high or that there has been some water damage in the past.

There are more than 100 000 different types of mould that exist today. And while not all of them are dangerous, some can do serious harm to human beings. Penicillium, Alternaria, Aspergillus and Cladosporium are the most common types of mould.

The types of mould that can have a negative effect on your health are mostly allergenic moulds. This type of mould is extremely common and contain allergens that trigger or even cause allergic reactions and other symptoms in people.

Mould thrives in dark and damp places. So if you happen to have mould growth in your home, your health might become compromised.

Common Symptoms of Mould Illnesses

Below are some signs that mould in your home has taken a toll on your health:

  • Frequent headaches
  • Light sensitivity or blurred vision
  • Respiratory issues like sinusitis, asthma and coughing
  • Brain fog or problems with concentration
  • Fatigue
  • Muscle aches and cramps
  • Joint or nerve pain
  • Vertigo
  • Nausea and/or diarrhoea
  • Issues with weight loss
  • Metallic taste
  • Night sweats
  • Excessive thirst

Seeing mould in places around your home, other than shower walls or areas where water accumulates, could mean there’s a leak nearby.

How to Get Rid of Damp  

First, you need to determine where the water is coming from. Start by inspecting toilets, water faucets, water valves, pipes, and various household appliances. Once you’ve found the leak, you need to fix it, after which you need to damp proof the area to prevent it from happening again.

Or you could do it the easy way and call the professionals. Hydrostop SA is a damp proofing specialist in Pretoria who offer affordable and reliable damp proofing services. Call us if you need help getting rid of your damp problem.

5 Signs You Might Have Damp In Your Home

In case you don’t know it yet, damp is caused by excess moisture inside your home. There are different types of damp such as rising damp, lateral damp and penetrating damp.

Why is damp bad?

Damp causes mould growth which can be potentially life-threatening for young children, old people and people with lung conditions. Additionally, it will cause the paint on your walls to peel and sometimes even cause damage to the structure of your home, which will cost you lots of money to repair. Not even talking about the risk of injury when structures collapse. Below are some telltale signs that your home is infected with damp.

Excessive Condensation

This means that there is too much water vapour in the home. The moisture comes from somewhere, which might indicate poor ventilation or a damp issue.

Paint and Wallpaper Damage

Damp will cause your interior paint to bubble or peel. If you have wallpaper, it can cause stains or discolouration.

Salt Stains on Outside Walls

Have you ever noticed a white powdery substance on your external walls? This is one of the many signs that you have a damp problem at hand.

Musty, Damp Smell

A constant musty smell in your home indicates a damp problem. Sometimes the issue can be so advanced you might even notice black mould spores on your walls.

Damaged Skirting Boards

Your skirting boards might be damaged or rotting, and the nails might even rust.

How do you get rid of damp?

To get rid of damp in your home, you need to first call in professionals to get the situation under control. Hydrostop offers specialised damp proofing and waterproofing in Pretoria. Our services are reliable and affordable.

Other precautions include:

  • Improve poor ventilation
  • Use of a dehumidifier to reduce excess moisture
  • Cover pots while cooking
  • Limit the use of a tumble drier inside your home